Tribal Council Candidate Qualifications
A person may run for only one elective office. Candidates for the President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and Council Member, shall meet the following minimum qualifications as listed in Article V, Section 6 of the Nation’s Constitution. For your convenience, they are listed below:
A Candidate Must:
- Be an enrolled member of the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation; and
- Have continuously physically resided within the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation for at least one year immediately preceding the election date;
- Be 25 years of age;
- Possess a high school diploma, or its equivalent. Proof of educational requirements must be submitted to the Election Board at the same time that candidates submit their completed petitions;
- Not have been convicted of a felony or been convicted of a misdemeanor involving moral turpitude;
- Candidates must be fingerprinted to verify the requirements of this subsection. Candidates are required to have their fingerprints inked by an authorized Tribal Department. Result of the fingerprint records checks shall be sent to the Nation’s Prosecutor for review.
If you have any questions regarding these qualification standards, please contact us at 480-789-7153.